Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Thursday, April 21, 2005  
The Young Are Our Future

After this post, I'll try to talk about something other than the Catholic Church and its new pontiff. One more shout out, though. I saw this link, to Musings of an Expagan at Father Bryce Sibley's blog, A Saintly Salmagundi: Catholic Reaction -- Lets Study.

Wow. This is from one of Fr. Sibley's commenters:

The ecstatic ones are in the lunchroom at Ave Maria University in Florida - pandemonium, absolute joy.

This gives me so much hope for the Church -- I can't relate it properly in words, at least not right now. I think I understand better what John Paul II meant when he said that the youth were the hope and the future of the Church. He saw the misguided push from the 60's culture to change the Church, and he knew that there was no talking to lots of these people. So, he performed an end-around, going directly to the new generation of Catholics, including myself. It seems to be working -- or has worked. The young generation of priests in America are much more orthodox than the last, and much more willing to fight for Tradition.

Here's another account about learning the news from a young priest that happens to have a well-written blog:

I got back late last night from my holidays and am in and out today, but I wanted to post something quick on the new Pope. I was having a coffee with friends in the shadow of a mediaeval Portuguese abbey when one of the priests I was with got the text message "white smoke." We gulped down our espresso and headed back to Fatima, listening to the local radio station all the way. We got back to the house just in time to hear Cardinal Medina's "Habemus Papam," and everyone went wild with glee when we heard Joseph Ratzinger's name.

I've saved the best for last. Read the whole account from a consecrated layperson in Rome, upon hearing the news. This is the sort of thing that makes my eyes well up.

I had completely convinced myself that there was no chance for Ratzinger. So you can imagine my cry of amazement when I saw our new Pope. I think I have never experienced sheer joy as I did yesterday evening in St. Peter?s Square.

I was attending a lecture on St. Mary Magdalene, which began at five o?clock. My plan was to dart out the door to make it to the Vatican by seven in order to see the black smoke. Suddenly I heard my friends running down the stairs, interrupting the lecture, announcing Habemus Papam!

12:53 PM 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.