Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Friday, September 17, 2004  
Let the Blogging Begin

After a two week hiatus, I'm back to daily, weekday blogging from Portland, Oregon. It was a nice vacation -- something I should do every six months or so. My simultaneous vacation from work went well, too. I caught up my reading, some movie watching, and work around the house (ah, the pleasures of home-ownership -- when the fence breaks, you can't call the landlord). It was relaxing and satisfying at the same time.

I finally finished Neil Stephenson's book, "Quicksilver", which I had been putting off for quite some time. It took me a while to get into his peculiar style of writing, but it finished really, really well. One of those books that you spend an entire day finishing, because you're loathe to put it down. So, only six books back, and I'm all caught up! Seriously. The sad part is, the 1000 page book I just finished is book one of three: the second is sitting on my table ready to go, and the third is being released next week.

On the home front, things are changing next month in a drastic fashion. My fiance and her seven year-old daughter are moving in, and 2 1/2 roommates are moving out (husband, wife, and 20 month-old). This won't just be a move; it'll be a full process. The husband and the roommate that's staying have lived together non-stop for about 14 years. Actually, the correct word is probably "divorce", without the messy court battles. They have accumulated an incredible amount of stuff over those years, and I'm curious how much of it they'll remember who the purchaser was.

So, this is both a sad and a happy thing. I'm losing the experience of living with some great friends, not to mention watching a little man grow up day-by-day. On the other hand, less people means less mess, and for people that know me well, this is a very good thing. If you read James Lilek's daily Bleats, you know the personality type: particular. From today's:

(At the blogger party last month, King Banion opened my fridge and asked “does it always look like this?” It does. I have a shelf devoted to sodas, and every day they get replentished so there’s always a full assortment. Do all the labels face the same way? What do you think?)

Yep, that's about it. I'm the kind of person that reads that statement and nods, "Of course you face the cans the same way!" If you have the time. With as many roommates as I have, and considering their unappreciation for the hyper-organized life style, there's never enough time. With the 2 1/2 people moving out, I'll get closer to neat-freak nirvana. Even counting the seven year-old.

1:45 PM 1 comments

Comments:
Hmmm... what will you do with all that free time? ;-)
 
Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.