Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Tuesday, September 21, 2004  
Abilities Wanted: Fast Reading

Over my vacation, I finally finished Neil Stephenson's Quicksilver. It's a great book, and after you get the hang of the writing and speaking style, it just gets better and better. Unfortunately, it took me a long time to read. It is long: almost 1000 pages. Still, page by page, it was a slow read for me.

Then I read that the Man himself, Instapundit, has received the third book in the series, The System of the World. He'll probably finish it in a week or less, while holding down a column or two, a very busy blog, family, and, oh yeah, a job teaching law. So, I ask myself, why do I read so slow? Do other people read fundamentally different than I do? Do they absorb everything, or get "the drift" of the story? Is there some sort of way I can learn to read faster than I do, but still learn and enjoy it as much as I do now? This probably ranks in the top 5 things I'd love to learn. Where do I start, though? Probably by reading some book on it. Great. And I'm already about 5 books back.

9:27 PM 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.