Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Tuesday, August 17, 2004  
Summer Photoblogging in Portland

I live in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon, and not in the city proper. I get lots of grief from some of my friends about it, sometimes, but the benefits are there, just as the liabilities are. The top liability is my commute to work -- 45-60 minutes each way, every day, since I work in downtown Portland. You get used to it, though. To save money, I park outside of downtown, and take a quick bus in. Once in a while, I'll get off the bus early and walk a mile or so to my car, just to enjoy the end of the day. I did just that today.

Using my handy Canon, I took some photos:

Here's one of the Federal buildings near the river, taken from a block-sized park:



The main Portland Police bureau, which reminds me of the building the Justice League of America operated out of in the 1970's Saturday morning cartoon:



The wall advertisement for paint reducer always catches my eye:



Here's a close-up, showing why I like it so much. I trust him. I'd totally buy paint thinner from this grandpa:



I couldn't resist. Cheap irony!



Old (and very expensive) houses, built by Crazy Old Man Ladd:



Maybe he wasn't that crazy, or at least, not judged by today's standards. This is in Ladd's Addition, one of the first subdivisions built in Portland. The neighborhood has a strange, criss-cross structure, serving the same effect as today's meandering roads and cul-de-sacs in modern suburbs. Ultimately, the design created little block-sized parks every few hundred yards down almost every street:



It's days like this that I can't imagine living anywhere else. Portland really is quite a beautiful city, and walking through it on a summer evening is a fantastic treat.

9:53 PM 1 comments

Comments:
I've said it before: you have a great eye and sense of composition. Those photos are beautiful. ~D
 
Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.