Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Monday, June 28, 2004  
Sightseeing In Your Backyard

I'm always looking forward to my next trip to -- somewhere. My next mini-vacation is in Las Vegas in late July, and my girlfriend and I are in the early stages of planning a longer vacation to some exotic locale towards the end of the year. It's not that I don't love the area in which I live in, though. Sightseeing in your own backyard can be almost as rewarding as the more expensive kind (without the excitement, however).

I live right at the mouth of the Columbia River Gorge, and as such, have access to a tremendously beautiful area at a short drive's distance. Yesterday, my girlfriend, her daughter, and I hopped in the car and started traveling east, into the Gorge. We decided to take the Old Columbia River Highway, the main route to and from Portland in the Gorge before the dams went in and allowed straighter highways to be constructed. Here's the Vista House on Crown Point:



It's under construction, unfortunately. When it's open, you can go inside and get all kinds of historical information about the site and the area. Here's we came for, though -- the view:






After getting our fill, we drove on to Latourell Falls, a very short hike from the Old Highway. Nice and cool on a somewhat-warm day:






All in all, a great day.

12:43 PM 1 comments

Comments:
Greetings, from another Troutdale Blogger! Saw your hit coming in from ORblogs in my site referral list.
 
Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.