Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Monday, June 07, 2004  
Painful, Fun Weekend

For once in many, many weekends, my girlfriend and I had a free weekend, and took advantage of it. Watched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which was probably the best of the three movies. A bit darker, grainier, and grown-up, just like the book is. The movies, like the books, follow the main characters growing from 11 to 17, and change their feel significantly as they progress. If you haven't read them, I highly recommend it. They're fun reads, in spite of the incredible levels of hype.

Saturday night we went to Hawthorne (a counter-culture-esqe street in Southeast Portland with plenty of bars to haunt) and drank a wee too much. I'm a regular drinker, but a vast majority of the time I'm only interested in one or two drinks. As I get older (shock!), the effects of not being moderate become more and more acute. Once in a long while (every year or two), though, I do drink excessively. Don't ask my why -- I just feel the need to do it. Probably some escape-from-reality thing that I really don't want to deal with. So, Sunday I was reminded again why these little adventures are very rare.

Water. Multi-vitamin. Water. Food. Water. Snooze.

I did get the chance, finally, to watch Kill Bill Volume One, and it was pretty entertaining. I remember when it first came out and tons of people panned it for it's violence, but give me a break -- it's just too over the top to be taken seriously. It may not be good for an eight year old to watch, but it's certainly not in the same ballpark in the disturbing department as say, Platoon or Saving Private Ryan. Those kinds of movies affect you (or should) because they are grounded in reality. Seeing Uma run around lopping dozens of arms off is pretty difficult to be taken seriously, and thus, be affected by.

12:35 PM 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.