Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Sunday, May 02, 2004  
Offline Blogging at Sacred Heart

My aunt teaches 4th grade at a Catholic school in New Britain, Connecticut. Last Thursday, I spend the day with her in the classroom. During math lessons, I decided to do a little offline blogging:

I'm back in fourth grade. My aunt teaches that grade at a Catholic school near Hartford, Connecticut, and I'm spending today and tomorrow in her classroom -- pretty much just for fun. It's pretty interesting stuff. The kids here are mostly Polish immigrants, some of whom have just learned English recently, and still have an accent. Great kids, really (one just asked me if he could use the bathroom, given that I was the only adult in the room -- I replied that I wasn't sure if I could give that permission, but with a pause, I threw caution to the wind and told him to go).

My aunt strong-armed me into giving a lesson on Internet searches (sponsored by Google, if you can believe that). I'd rather talk about astronomy or something of that ilk, but that's not available to me. What I wouldn't give for an In Focus projector for the class. I'll have to give it with 20+ kids looking over my shoulder at a 15" LCD monitor. Catholic schools tend not to have a lot of money to spend on such things. Vouchers, anyone?


Well, I ended up not making it to class the next day, unfortunately. I needed sleep pretty badly, and with the time change, I was exhausted. Maybe next time I fly out there I can actually plan on teaching beforehand, and give myself a little more time to prepare. Again, great kids. I'd completely forgotten what it was like to be in elementary school. It's a great age -- they're old enough to talk about some interesting things (from my perspective), but not to that age where their hormones are getting in the way of being kids. In an odd way, I'm very envious of my aunt.

11:12 PM 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.