Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Monday, March 01, 2004  
The Passion

Yesterday, after Mass, my girlfriend and I went to the movies and saw The Passion of the Christ. I can honestly say that it was the most moving motion picture I've ever seen, bar none. Almost all of it was a extremely detailed rendering of what I've been taught growing up, brought to life on a 50 foot screen. As anyone that knows me or reads my blog knows, I'm a believing, active Catholic, so I was definitely the target audience. I won't go into too much detail, as a movie review would, but I will say that yes, it was too violent. Mr. Gibson could have taken a quarter of the violence out and the movie would have been just as shocking and painful to watch. Yes, there were parts of the movie that aren't supported by the Gospels, but for the most part, they don't distract from the story and most importantly, they don't change the meaning or the message. And yes, I can see some (repeat: some) of the complaints about anti-Semitism, even though I still believe that most of the charges are made by people looking for it in every scene, and most of the charges are extreme reaches.

Still, all these problems don't distract from what a vast majority of believing Christians (and especially Catholics) will gain from this movie. I highly recommend anyone -- of at least high school age -- from this group to see it, meditate on it, and remember it.

9:25 PM 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.