Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Saturday, February 21, 2004  
I'll Take the Blue iPod mini, Please

I was an early adopter for hard drive MP3 players, buying an Archos unit over 2 years ago that could hold 20 GB of music. I used it for a while, but then more and more, it didn't make it out of the house with me. Why? Because it was huge -- the only way I could carry it with me is if I had a jacket on that had a nice, big pocket. In the summer time, forget it. I've been watching the whole iPod thing since then, and holding myself back, trying to get as much use out of my old player as I could. I finally broke down last night, and bought an iPod mini.

It only holds 4 GB, or about 1000 songs. That may seem large, but there's regular iPods that hold 40 GB, or 10,000 songs. The thing is tiny, though. It weights less than 4 ounces, and is the size of a business card in width and height, and half the thickness of a pack of cigarettes. It has incredible music quality, too. I'm listening to Afro Celt Sound System right now on it, and I can't tell that I'm not listening to it on a really good portable CD player. Damn good looking, too.

The one observation I'd like to make about the whole MP3 phenomenon is this -- since I ripped my CDs to MP3s, I've listened to a lot more music than I have for a long, long time -- probably since I was in my early 20's. It makes all the difference in the world when you can bring a large portion (or all, in the case of my laptop) of your music with you to work or on the road, or just be sitting there in your house, and bring up a CD you hadn't listened to in years in a matter of seconds. Put the CDs in the closet and forget about them.

9:47 AM 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.