Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Monday, December 01, 2003  
From Rain To Rain

I'm back in the USA, and even though I had a great time in England, I'm glad to be here. There's definitely something comforting about home, no matter how much fun you have when you're not there. I've been back for a few days now, but I thought I'd finish out my Thanksgiving holiday with as few responsibilities as possible, including blogging.

London is an incredible place. I've been to all the major cities in the United States, as well as Paris, and London is difficult to compare. It has the age of Paris, but much more new mixed in with the old. It has the subways (or the tube, as it's called there) of New York, but not the thick grouping of skyscrapers. It has the rain and clouds of Portland, but not the fantastic microbrew beers like we do. It's definitely its own city. I spent all my time in Central London, and didn't see everything I would've liked to see.

I did see most of what I planned to see, however. The Tower of London, Parliament, the London Eye, the National Gallery, the British Museum, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Cathedral, the Modern Tate, and of course, London Underground (every day, thank you very much -- Mind the Gap!). I ate fish and chips, as well as bangers and mash. I drank Starbucks coffee in the old areas as well as the new. I drank lots of lots of bitter and ale, but failed to locate absenthe. I was even lucky enough to yell "Fascist!" at some anti-Bush demonstrators from the top deck of a Big Bus tour bus. Fantastic.

9:13 PM 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.