Must Read Blogs

Andrew Sullivan
Michael J. Totten
Little Green Footballs
James Lileks
Instapundit
Classical Values
Rachel Lucas
Pejmanesque
USS Clueless
Winds of Change
Samizdata.net
Daniel W. Drezner






 
Archives

<< current












 
Scenes from the front line of life in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Email

Syndicate This Site(RDF/XML)




























Jason Holliston
 
Tuesday, March 11, 2003  

Losing Patience

For months now, I’ve been a student of the movement towards war in Iraq. I’ve read about it in newspapers, books, and magazines. I’ve seen images from Iraq and images of our incredible war machine in action, which is scary but comforting all at the same time. And I’ve also listened. I’ve not only listened to people that are for the removal of Saddam from power, but also people that are against military action by the United States. I decided a long time ago, while I was still a kid, that it’s important to listen to both sides of any argument. An open mind is usually the one that makes the best decisions, right?

It’s disturbing, but real, that I’ve found myself become more and more unable to deal with a large part of the anti-war movement. It’s getting to the point that I’m feeling frustration and sometimes anger at these people. Not all of them, but damn near. I don’t want to feel this way. It’s usually not the case that one side is almost completely wrong in something as huge as this, but this may be one of them.

So, let’s break down why. It may help me deal with it some. There are two main arguments that I’ve heard that I can see some logic involved – some thought has gone into it, and when I hear it, I feel the need to deconstruct it and find reasons that they’re wrong. I’m not going to disprove them here – it’s been done at a hundred different blog sites over the Web. Write me, and I’ll give you great sources that will give you a better written analysis than I can here.

First, that Saddam is not a clear and present danger to United States security, or the security of our allies. Second, that American blood and the potential post-war problems that may happen are not worth it. Like I said before, I disagree with these positions, as I think that both of them have been deconstructed and disproved over and over again successfully. They are, however, worth the time and the intellectual energy spent to explain away.

Then there are the other people. I see it all the time, and unless you’re living in a cabin in the woods without satellite TV, you’ve seen it too. “Bush is a Nazi”. “Stop imperialist USA”. “It’s all about politics”. (Or my favorite) “No blood for oil”. Let me be blunt – all these statements are complete BS and it shows more than just logical failings or ignorance, but it’s damn near stupidity to believe these things. I almost feel like apologizing for saying this, but damn it, I’m not going to. Even a cursory study of the facts – even just a little thought – will find these statements as ridiculous.

Now, I understand some of reasons, however faulty, that drive a lot of these people to stand against the upcoming war. I’ve heard pretty much all of them – Bush stole the election, America is getting too powerful and needs a diplomatic counterweight, etc. None of these purposes explains stupidity, though, does it? Where did these people forget their brains? They’re certainly not using them.

So, that’s why it’s getting more and more difficult to be civil. Tell me where I’m wrong. If you’d like to debate the first reasons the anti-war camp gives, I’ll be glad to. Don’t bother bringing up the second list, though – to me that’s like debating whether or not the Earth is flat.

9:22 PM 0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment
 

States -- World66



World -- World66



This page is powered by Blogger.